Tuesday, March 10, 2009



Mairead Byrne State House Calendar

from the intro: "The Rhode Island State House in Providence is a magnificent & totally unlikely building, beached on Smith Hill under huge skies. I see it every day when I drive from my home in Mount Pleasant to the East Side of Providence where I work. For 13 months in 2004-2005, I recorded my first glimpse of it every morning: the color of the stone against the color of the sky. At the end of each month, these daily notes became a poem."

here's the the start of first poem:

"State House, September"

candle-flame against turquoise
pearl against lavender
mint against rose
breast-milk on mauve
metal against mackerel
yellowed lace on watered silk
graphite on glass
silhouette on pale blue
eggshell on streaked blue
grey cut-out against sky-blue
velcro on azure
.
.
.


Published in a limited edition of 100 by watersign press/Calendar Girl Books for the Dusie Kollektiv, 2008.

Dusie Kollektiv

& it's even a real calendar! which doesn't begin until September 2009, so still plenty of time!
.
.
.

No comments: